Monday, August 7, 2017

New Painting in the Dining Room

 photo signature_zps1e656175.png
This room is still a work-in-progress, but slowly-slowly-slowly, I'm getting there. A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled (not literally) across this sweet painting, and it spoke to me (again, not literally). After my last post about keeping decorating magazines for 10+ years and looking at them over and over, y'all are probably wondering about my mental state.


Anyway, I love daffodils, hence the name of this blog, and I had been wishing for a big painting for this spot in the dining room for a long time.

Isn't she lovely? Cue the Stevie Wonder music here.

The girls and I were in a cute little town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. They went to a local coffee place, and I combed through one adorable shop after the other! It was hard to keep that credit card locked in my wallet. When I saw this, I just knew.

Much to my surprise, the painting was also reasonably priced, and even better, the store owner knew the lady who'd owned it. She was a local woman, and the store owner said this piece used to hang above her fireplace. It was part of an estate sale. I asked the woman's name, and later went online to read her obituary. Like me, she was also a teacher. Strange, but I feel a sense of protectiveness, like I'm loving something that had been well-loved before, and it's sort of my duty now to take care of it. I have never felt this way about anything purchased at IKEA, by the way. This is what I mean about old pieces. They make you think. Even better, they make you feel something.


I want a sconce or some other adornment to complement the artwork, but I don't know what that is just yet. Hopefully, it will call to me somehow, too.


Sometimes new is great, but sometimes old is even better. 
I'll try to remember that when my next birthday rolls around. 

Linking up with Kim!
Wow Us Wednesday!



4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...