Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Summer Tour 2016!

 photo signature_zps1e656175.png
It was a pretty day and my house was clean, 
which means you're getting 
a summer tour. 
Let's start with the living room.
If you follow this blog, you know this is my favorite room.


It's a hodgepodge of color and pattern and all the things I love.

Bright and cheerful in the summer months, 
warm and cozy in the wintertime. 


Daisies are from my garden.




Even when I was a college student
and living in an ugly dorm room, 

I knew that books and flowers and candles and photos
could make a space better.
I still believe this. 




But I've expanded my thinking to also include
antiques and family hand-me-downs and things discovered
at the flea market or curbside.


Our house is a mix of all those things.


I could tell you a million stories about the treasures you see in this picture.
The yellow chair is where I write.
The yellow chair is where my husband studied during graduate school.

It was a hand-me-down, and my husband says
it's at least 50 years old.

That round needlepoint pillow you see
was made by my MIL.
Yet another hand-me-down.


And this vase you see?
Priceless!

Just kidding.
It's from Home Goods.


The biggest splurge in this room were the custom draperies.
They still make me happy every time I walk in the room.


The lavender is from my garden.
Close the doors at night, walk in the next morning,
and you'll smell heaven.

See that little chair?
She was an antique store find. 
I have plans for her this year.








I love this issue of House Beautiful
mainly because there are so many 
eclectic spaces inside.













The silver cups were from my mother and father-in-law's wedding. 
Yep.
Their names are engraved on them, too!

And the cat belonged to my mother.
The candles are from Home Goods.
The painting is a water color my husband bought many years ago.


When I published my first stand-alone novel, 
a dear friend had this bowl made for me.
The novel is called Artichoke's Heart
though it's not about artichokes, I promise.






I love the stories our houses tell.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Your room tells your story and I love all the layers of time. So pretty. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your home! I love the colors, the style, the things gathered over time. Those draperies get me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tour! Your home always looks so warm and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing your home. It's so full of natural light and your colors are so happy and welcoming! Enjoy your day!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellow and blues are my favorite colors and my living room is primarily those colors with a touch of pink and green. Very similar to yours which is very lovely!
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home is just lovely. I am a great fan of blue and white and I love yours.
    Thank you for joining us at Thoughts of Home.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Suzanne...what a beautiful room and the stories it can tell!!! I knew it was pretty, but you just showed us it's heart!
    My rooms have a tendency to come with lots of stories too, so I'm glad to know yours.
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...