Monday, April 18, 2016

Settling into a Home

 photo signature_zps1e656175.png
New (or new to you) houses are exciting.
There is nothing quite so thrilling or utterly exhausting as moving.
We did this 6.5 years ago, and I honestly can't believe it's been that long.

One of the things I love most about this stage is that we are settled.
I remember working so hard painting and rearranging and hanging stuff
(trip after trip to Home Goods and other places, too) 
all in the name of making this new-to-us house feel like home.

And you know what? It's just now starting to feel like it.
Recently, we put our 17 year old Jack Russell to sleep, 
and as my husband was digging her grave, 
I said, "Well, I guess this makes it official."
He looked at me and asked what I meant.

Burying the dog and planting the trees and flowers
and layering your things, old and new, 
and making memories (good and bad)
make a house a home.

An endless budget (which we definitely did NOT have)
or the best decorator in the land won't make it home.
It's a slow process.



We had the most gorgeous weekend here! Sunny skies, green grass
and a few remaining daffodils, too.

Notice the new touches of blue? 





The light was so pretty coming through the windows.
I love mornings.


Another little touch of blue, and a bud from our red bud tree.



I did a post about my new mantel on Friday, and I 
mentioned these silver cups were from my in-laws' wedding day.
I had to fact check that. 
Turns out I was right.
Makes them all the more special.




A happy home is the best place to be, and I love being here.
Yes, I like to travel.
But deep down I am a homebody.


I hope you all have a good week.

10 comments:

  1. Hello Suzanne. Your home is lovely. Love your touches of blue and the yellow just pops.
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your fur baby. Difficult to lose a beloved pet. We lost two last year. I would love if your shared your lovely home at our link party, Dishing It & Digging it on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. I will give it a try:-)

      Delete
  2. You are so right. I have lived in about 17 homes in my lifetime, but only two really meant something to me. The last one we raised our kids in and this one we have put our heart and soul in and buried our precious Mandy in the back yard. It is not our last home though in a few years we will be moving when David retires and that will be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you'll have yet another adventure!

      Delete
  3. I also think you have a lovely home! Blue is one of my favorite colors. We have had jack russell's since 1994...they are so smart! We even had a litter many years ago.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are smart! Wildly so. Smarter than I am most of the time!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree more with you about the difference between a house and a home. I remember moving in our house over 20 years ago. We had been in our last house for 6 years. But, it was our first house and I had our first child while living there. There were SO many wonderful memories of living there even for that short time. We too had buried our beloved pet in the back yard. I remember when we moved to the house we live in now, I felt lost, almost homesick. We had this brand new beautiful home but no memories in it yet. So, I think when we move from this house I will shed a few tears. This home is where we've made the most memories for sure! I love your blue accents. The light looks so pretty shining in your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. It's a hard thing to leave the house where children were born. I dread when you move, as I LOVE your house! Have you ever followed the bloggers at Young House Love? Every time they moved it broke my heart a little. Our houses really are our stories.

      Delete
  5. It is so hard to lose a pet...so sorry you had to go through that recently.

    Regarding your home - it is nice when a house really starts to feel like a home. We have been in our house for 17 years now...can't even believe it! I love that this is the only house my kids have lived in and that the house has evolved with us.

    Your home is so warm and inviting and I love all the blue you have around. I think I have said it before that your home really seems to reflect your personality. Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this house, but even more so in the spring and summer. We get that screen porch going, and it's like we've built an addition.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...