Wednesday, March 23, 2016

What Home Really Means

 photo signature_zps1e656175.png

It was a stressful work week—to say the least. I came home this afternoon feeling the need to vent, and I confess I did so with oldest daughter. Afterwards, I realized, as I often do, that venting doesn't help much of anything. So, I set to work making dinner. As I did so I pressed Etta James into Pandora and began the preparations. It was soothing, the cutting, the chopping, the sautéing and sprinkling and dashing. I began to relax. Youngest daughter had lacrosse practice. Hubby was at work. It was just the middle daughter and me. Table was set. Candles were lit. Good food was consumed by just the two of us.

Big mistake: I watched the news. Bloody pictures of the wounded in Brussels, and I found myself wondering about those people whose photos were snapped. You've seen the images. A stylish but wounded women in her bra, face bleeding. A man stunned on the airport floor. Might he have lost his legs? I felt a responsibility to watch, so I did. When it was over, I cleaned my kitchen, letting thoughts of the day, of this troubled world, tie new knots in my head.

I started the dishwasher, and as I type, I am listening to its hum. My husband is home now, eating his supper, which was left warm on the stove. The dog snores between us on the sofa. My girls (minus the grown one) are upstairs, chatting with friends, showering, doing homework, normal things for girls to do on a Wednesday evening.

Still feeling unsettled, I switched off the television, poured a glass of wine, and began looking through my trusty decorating magazines. How frivolous! Really? No, not frivolous. Soothing. It is home and food and hearth and dog, the sounds of a purring dishwasher and the upstairs shower running, the glow of lamp and candle, the smell of good food, the taste of wine—these are the things to soothe us. Whether it be a tough day (or week) at work or a great and unthinkable tragedy, home, in so many countless ways, really is where the heart is, at least this heart anyway.

When I joined this "club" of bloggers, I knew I had found my people, smart and accomplished and talented women (mostly) who understand that home is the place that matters most.



14 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! There is no place like home. I have been watching the news about the terror attacks too and it is so tragic. It's times like this that makes us stop and look around at what is safe and secure in our world. Home is really the center of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Honestly, there is really no place I'd rather be than home. Thanks, Kelly.

      Delete
  3. I so agree. When we see so much heartache in the world it is home and family that makes us know what is important and what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Hope you have a good weekend, Betty.

      Delete
  4. Home is where we are loved and safe. I pray that will always be the case for all of us. I enjoyed your post today very very much. thank you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie. Hope you have a good weekend.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely SPOT ON!!!! Amen to you!! I usually manage to be doing something(anything) when the news comes on :^(
    Now that the time has changed, I can be outside doodling with plants, garden, neighbor dog or something.
    Otherwise, my home is my sanctuary. Calm, soothing, welcoming....and always the hubby and the cat to hug me and welcome me in.
    Thank you for a wonderful post!
    Blessings to you and yours,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Blessings to you and the hubby and cat, too:-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...