Monday, March 14, 2016

It Doesn't Have To Match

 photo signature_zps1e656175.png
More and more I find that the homes 
I'm drawn to 
are the ones that feel

painstakingly and lovingly
put together.

Things don't always match. 
In fact, sometimes rooms are rather

funky and strange even.

This room isn't funky or strange, at least I don't think so.
But it doesn't match exactly, either, 
and I like it that way.


I've repainted every single room since moving in 6.5 years ago.
Except this one.
I thought green was an unusual color for the dining room, 
and I loved the soft shades.
So, it stayed.


Still, blue was my "thread" color, and I wanted to incorporate
it in this room, too.
I chose a fabric that mimicked the hallway wallpaper, 
but didn't' match exactly.


There's blue and green and also red.

We had this beautiful Oriental from our old house, 
and it had to go here.

Orientals have gone out of fashion
these past few years, but they are 
beautiful and intricate and handmade
and these rugs can withstand just about anything.


I no longer try to match things.

We read it in magazines all the time.
Buy what you love, and somehow you'll find a place for it.




It's so true!

Spring is springing in these parts.
Got my first bouquet of daffodils last week.


14 comments:

  1. So true. I think it's more important to decorate a home to reflect who you are. By the way, I love that painting between the two windows! Enjoy your week - and those daffodils!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley. It was a gift from my husband several Christmases ago. I am still in love with it (and with him, too:-)

      Delete
  2. I agree about the whole match thing. Things have to "go" together, but not match. Your room is lovely, relaxing and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops....I meant the opposite. they do not have to match....just go together. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do have to "go" somehow. I am a fan of Romantic Homes. Do you ever pick up that magazine. Some of the styles are too out there for me, but I still love looking at them. And I admire people who walk the design tightrope!

      Delete
  4. I love this room as I do your whole house. I'm a firm believer in No Rules. I also love Oriental rugs and I have one in my kitchen. I get tons of compliments. Sometimes things just flow together and this room does.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orientals are the best. So durable and pretty! And I love thinking about the artists who made them, too.

      Delete
  5. I agree! Your home is gorgeous and it is "you!" Which means it's a perfect match. :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! It's a comfy sort of place.

      Delete
  6. I also agree! I like things to coordinate but definitely not be too matchy. I want it to look beautifully pulled together over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's probably the hardest look to achieve—pulled together over time. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  7. Your home is lovely and timeless. Too matchy is boring to me. I'd much rather have your rug than some faddish poly rug!!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We've had these rugs for a long time, and they have held up really well. Something to pass to the kids one day (if they'll want them:-)

      Delete
  8. I don't match things either. You can come into my home and each room is different and even in those rooms they don't exactly match. In my boho bedroom as I call it now you will also see a beach theme also. All my pictures in the room is of the beach.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...