Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day

 photo signature_zps1e656175.png


I was hoping to bake cookies today and finish up the mudroom touches so that I can FINALLY reveal the changes here (not exactly earth shattering, I know). But the sky is a dull gray, not great for snapping pictures. And I was responsible for a big event at my school last night. It went off without a hitch, thankfully, that is except for my back. Moving tables and chairs and being at work from 7:00 AM until 9:45 PM was not what the doctor ordered!

Instead, I'm spending this Valentine's morning with my hot lover, a heating pad.





The other day while on hall duty, I saw a post on Facebook titled "Nine Things I Wish I'd Known about Being a Stay-at-Home Mom" (the title could be off, and I'm too lazy to google it). I tried to load it, but the service was spotty, so I never actually read the article, just its cautionary headline. Still, I could guess at the content. It was posted by a "friend" I don't actually know very well, but what I do know is that she plans fabulous events and pursues writing seriously. From what I can gather via social media, she has a nice home, a good husband, and grown children she loves. Trust me, I get that it's social media. We look at the screen, not through it. The gist was she was worried about her chances at full-time employment because of so many years at home.




I was saddened by the status update, disheartened by what seemed her regretfulness. As I stood there in my work clothes on hall duty, I felt a sense of defiance for all women, whether they be dressed in dry-cleaned skirts or snot-crusty yoga pants.




I am not sorry I stayed home with my girls for all those years, and I don't give a heart-shaped sprinkle if it hurt my chances at moving up the ranks. I don't regret the days I spent making lunch and spreading a picnic blanket on the living room floor because it was raining, or jumping on the trampoline reciting Emily Dickinson poems as if they were nursery rhymes. I don't wish I'd been in some tortuous faculty meeting discussing the futures of America's children. I'm glad I was home raising those children instead.




Middle daughter just brought me a homemade Valentine (the best kind). In it she writes, "I want you to know I love you so much, and I'm very glad you're my mother. Thank you for all that you do for us."

Don't get me wrong. Jobs are important. I know. They feed us and clothe us and make it possible to send children to college and such. Some women are desperate to stay home and will never-ever get the chance. That makes my heart hurt, too.




Whether at work or home, I know this for sure. My job, no matter how much I like it at times, doesn't feed my soul the way my three daughters do. It doesn't make my heart swell with pride or longing or worry like they do. No matter the studies or statistics or lifestyle trends, I know in my heart of hearts my choice was the right one at the time.


Personally, I believe most women go to the office or stay home out of love, and for that I'm sending y'all this big fat homemade Valentine! And even though she won't know it, I'm sending it to my Facebook friend, too.




I'm gonna hobble off this soapbox now and take an Advil.

Have a LOVEly Day!




11 comments:

  1. Nope you can never get those days back with your kids. Means you have your priorities straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a stay at home mom and I wouldn't have it any other way! Even though 2 out 3 of my kids are teenages I know they still like knowing I'm here when they get home...makes me feel good:-) Happy Valentines Day Suzanne...hope your back is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have your priorities just right. There is no greater career than raising your children. It is sad that some moms have to work just to survive-and wish they could stay home with their children. Your pictures are all precious and beautiful.

    I hope your back heals quickly. That is SOOO miserable-but I am glad the event went without a hitch. Happy Valentine's Day to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am already seeing how fast these precious days fly by! I am glad I made the decision to stay home with my kids. I am even glad that I say yes to volunteering for too many things - because I feel that I should since I don't work outside the home! In a few years, there will be fewer opportunities to get involved. I am happy to hear your event went well. Rest your back and enjoy your weekend with your family! Happy Valentine's Day!
    Cheers! - Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was blessed to be a stay at home mom. You can't turn back time for sure. So many families need two incomes. We always did with less and still do. I would do little things to make money. But, I don't think all moms are stay at home mom material. I love to see the stay at home dads as well. Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you. I, too, was blessed to be a stay at home mom with our son and then also with two granddaughters we raised. They grow up so fast and that time is so precious.

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I needed to read this today. From someone who feels unnoticed and unappreciated. I know I am making a difference. Valentine's Day is a hard emotional day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had a drink in my hand right now I would raise it to you for that wonderful speech. I agree with it whole heartedly. I worked full time when my first son was born and put him in daycare at the young age of 6 weeks! I thought I would die! I hated working after I had him and desperately wanted to to stay home with him. 7 years later I got that chance. I became pregnant with our 2nd son and I haven't looked back. It's the best thing I've ever done. I love taking care of my family and our home. I am at peace now. I'm often surprised when people say they can't wait to get back to work. Maybe I just didn't have the right job to make me want to do that. But, I will have no regrets when I'm older having put my kids first. I'm glad that you feel the same way. It's refreshing to hear. Hope you're feeling better now. That's a long time being on your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OT but...

    what a delightful name for a blog! "Daffodil Hill"...

    how could anyone not want to pop in, and visit here?

    :-)

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are absolutely right!!!!
    I did not enter the work force until the younglets were well iton school, and I don't regret it!
    Besides ,in my current job of 26 years, I use the same skills of badgering spoiled folks each day....they are just 30 - 40 somethings instead of little kiddos :^)
    Blessings to you and I loved all of the pictures you included!
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. argh..... into school....
      I really should learn to proof read, my apologies.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...