Friday, April 4, 2014

Growing Up Girl




A few weeks ago, we headed to the beach for some R&R.
I snapped a bunch of pictures of youngest daughter, 
BeBe.


She's obsessed with gymnastics
and 
lacrosse
and 
her iPod
and 
her friends.


Adolescence is barking at her heels.


She is smart and funny
and just a
tad
rough around the edges.
Blunt, I mean.


We're working on it.


For a number of years, I was home with my girls, a full-time mom, 
part-time writer of young adult fiction:
Artichoke's Heart, Somebody Everybody Listens To, and Irish Guys.


A couple of years ago, I took a full-time teaching job and the department chair position
at a local high school.
Yes, it's as busy as it sounds.
I wake up at 4:00 AM in order to maintain my writing life.
I leave for work at 6:30, and often don't get home until just before dinner.
My girls play sports and are involved in 
LOTS 
of activities.

Sometimes I wonder if going back to work was worth it.
Money is good, insurance is great, and as teaching jobs go, 
this one is pretty darn perfect.
Still, I can't help but fret at how quickly my girls are growing, how rapidly they change.
And often I think I'd like to hit rewind to those mornings 
when they still shared a bedroom, and I would
tiptoe in and find the two of them sharing the same crib.


5 comments:

  1. One might get the impression from this blog post that "Bebe" is her real name. :)

    Such pretty pictures of my pretty/smart/funny/blunt seester. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 4 am...pretty impressive! If you are doing something you love, then it is worth it. I stay home with my boys and they are growing up so fast I can't keep up with them! You really can't stop how fast time goes whether you are working out of the home or not. You are setting a great example by doing what you love and they will look up to you for that. You daughter is beautiful.
    Cheers to being a great mom! - Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne- What a beautiful young lady she is! She is just gorgeous. You can see what she is going to look like as a beautiful young adult! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious post! Your daughter is beautiful and obviously energetic! You're a blessed lady. The beach backdrop is beautiful, too!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is beautiful...and obviously a talented gymnast! Great shots of her. I recently left the career world, and I'm a stay-at-home mom for the first time. I feel like I missed the first 13 years, and so I can totally relate to your missing your time with your girls as they get older.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...