Friday, February 14, 2014

Sweet Valentines

The past couple of days were nutty. Just nutty. 
I don't need to tell you about the weather.


Um…snow…


I need sunshine. I need a run or a really hilly, hard walk.
Exercise is calling my name.
But there's this white icy stuff.
Plus,


I have "bruised the soft tissue on my heel."
Lucky me, I'm what they call a heel striker!


For the next few days, I am staying off my heel.

But today is the day of love.
And since I can't fix the weather or my silly heel,
I'm gonna do my best to chill out, plan a few blogs in advance
try to be more patient with my girls, the human girls, that is, and relish a few days off.


Years ago I joked with my husband that one day I'd be fifty
and we'd have two adolescents in the house.
That's a lot of hormones.

The other night while making dinner, I had a mini meltdown.
Does anyone appreciate all the things I do?
Meals and lovely flowers and hauling teenager butts
all over town!
Doctors, orthodontists, homework, permission slips, sleepovers (dear Lord, the rowdy sleepovers!)



I worked myself into a very big poor-me party.
But then it snowed.
And I spent yesterday in my pajamas.
Middle daughter was cheerful, and I stood inside and watched as she 
put food in the bird feeders.


Youngest daughter appeared in my room with a plate of sugar cookies.
She had made them.
You know, used the hot oven without permission.
She snuggled in bed, and I read her parts of the new book I'm working on.


I had time to chat on the phone with not one, but THREE dear friends.


In blogger world life can sound mighty perfect. And I think there's something nice about that.
We like the pretty in our lives. 
.
Personally, looking at elegant rooms and delicious meals
and reading about your lives takes me away from it all.
You ladies are a little like Calgon!

But I don't want to sound like my life is perfect.

It is not.

There is sadness. There is struggle. There is leftover pain from long ago.

I get in bad moods.

Sometimes I yell at my children.


Still, on this day of love, often imperfect, flawed, complicated love, 
I relish the beauty of it.
I celebrate its imperfections.




5 comments:

  1. Your not alone Suzanne!! Enjoy the day!!
    Love that wide shot of your dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bruised heel reminded me of one of the Olympian ladies --she did the snow board and had badly bruised her heel and yet was still doing it. It made me cringe. She did have a shot of Novocaine in her heel before doing her run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You yell at your children ;-)....so you are just like me! I know life has it's crazy moments and sometimes it seems like everyone else has perfect children, husbands, jobs, clothes and hair that never has a bad day...

    Hope your heel feels better soon!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surgery on my legs in 2010 is how I discovered blogs!! I followed Funky Junk Interiors on FB and then the blog world somehow made it's to making me smile while I recuped from my legs :) There is always a silver lining somewhere LOL I aint gonna lie....too much snow this winter?? ARGH - silver lining? SPRING ..........Happy Hearts Day and enjoy the weekend ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...