Sunday, February 2, 2014

Running, Running, Running!

Lately, my life is nothing but running, running, running.

Work.
Kids.
Writing.
House.
Errands.
More errands.
You all know the drill.




Every morning, except for Saturday and Sunday, I get up at 4:00 AM.
In my other life, I am also a writer and a teacher.

Years ago, I realized something about myself. 
Reading, writing, and exercise are key to my happiness.

So is decorating.



So often we sacrifice the things that make us tick because there are so many other things, 
annoying things, 
tapping at our window. 



These other things are insistent and obnoxious and way too demanding sometimes.
Since going back to work full-time, I have realized this:
often you have to ignore this 
tapping, tapping, tapping




 in favor of something 
you actually like to do.


Today, the massive pile of laundry awaits.
So does the grocery shopping.
My youngest daughter's sheets need to be changed.

I should go through last month's bills, make sure they all cleared.

Oh, and I had a little traffic mishap this week. The car must be fixed.

My house is quiet this morning, and I hear something else tapping outside the window.
It's a woodpecker. He doesn't want anything from me, thankfully.

At some point today, I will don these new running shoes and head to the gym.


I will work on the new novel I'm writing, ignore the papers that need grading, and head to 
the youngest daughter's basketball game.


Some years hence I will not recall that I didn't grade those papers.
But I have a feeling I'll regret it if I don't pursue my passions in life, if I cheat myself out of joy 
in favor of pressing details.

Wherever you are this Sunday, I hope you have joy and time to rest.
And maybe a pair of earplugs (so you can ignore the tapping).

5 comments:

  1. Great post, and I agree sometimes you have to do what you want not what you have to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so true. You do have to put first things first, and you know, when you do that it seems as though everything else that is important does get done.
    {Totally awed that you get up at 4!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Suzanne...we all need to take some time out of our busy schedules and do what makes us happy! Your girls are so pretty...great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you get up at 4:00 each morning. I know I did it when I was working, sometimes 3:00 or 3:30 a.m., depending on the shift I had. I think it's imperative for moms to take time for themselves! I didn't and I missed out on a lot. The other things will get done and you will feel better having done what you love. Your girls are adorable!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I'm not the only one to feel this way! We shouldn't feel guilty if every now and then we opt out of the obligations to do something just because we love it! Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...