Monday, February 17, 2014

Dining Room Chairs

A few years ago, the hubby and I inherited chairs from my MIL.
My MIL down-sized, but in her day, she entertained a lot.
Lovely table.
Lovely silver.
Lovely woman.

However, the chairs were covered in red velvet, and the fabric was worn and stained.
So, I decided to recover them.

The goal was one chair per night. Six chairs total.


When I began decorating our home 4+ years ago, I knew I wanted to carry 
blue throughout the house.
The plan was to be able to swap pieces from room to room.

Our house is roomy in some ways, but definitely not what you'd call spacious. 
Things had to flow if you know what I mean.


And so I set out, tools at hand, and with HGTV to keep me company.

I purchased the fabric at Calico Corners, and one of the nice 
ladies at the store gave me lots of helpful advice.
She even talked me into the trim.

To be honest, this was an intimidating project at the start, but truly
it was a breeze!

The result is that we have extra seating when guests come.
Hubby has a chair for his desk.
And we were able to hang onto meaningful pieces 
while also giving said pieces a purpose.

If it doesn't have a purpose or it isn't really pretty, I don't want it cluttering up my house!





Have you all inherited pieces? If so, how did you feel about it?

Lucky for me, I really liked my MIL. 
She was good to me and good to my girls, so 
I was eager to breathe new life into pieces that were special to her.



6 comments:

  1. The chairs look fabulous and I love the fabric and trim. Perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good!! The chairs look fabulous and I love the added trim...it's nice having meaningful pieces fill the home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful and I love the trim. No, I don't have any inherited pieces. My parents were into modern and oriental styles. My MIL passed away before I met my husband, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chairs are very pretty and I love the fabric you chose!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric and trim....I'm in love! Wonderful to have things that were important to people you love in your home. I think it gives a home some soul! Jane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...