Monday, December 30, 2013

The Sadness Bath

Sometimes it's good to let sadness wash over you. Rather than fight it with projects and paint and busyness, I've decided to accept the fact that today I am sad. I'm taking a sadness bath, in fact. 

Lest you think I'm drinking vodka at noon…


while reading Sylvia Plath poetry (I do love Sylvia, by the way),


 you should know that I'm simply sitting on my sofa wondering if (when) the tears will come. 


Oldest daughter is headed back to California today.

When my good friend is having a bad day, she jokingly says, "Hide the knives!"




But knowing me I would never find them again, so I think I'll leave sharp objects tucked in the drawer where they belong.

For now, I plan to allow myself a few minutes of this empty feeling, knowing full well that I will get back in the swing of things—painting and projects and work and busyness. I've never been much of a wallower. Instead, I like to move forward. Even so, having a sweet girl who is 
2,661.6 miles away (yes, I Googled it), is a valid excuse for today's melancholy.

And who wouldn't miss this lively trio?


1 comment:

  1. I feel for you Suzanne. My one and only child goes away to school also...but she's only two hours away (yet, it still feels like thousands at times!) She is home now for a few more weeks. How lucky you and I are to have sweet daughters we love so much! Enjoy your momentary wallow, you deserve it! Jane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...