Thursday, August 1, 2013

Stinky Carpet! (Doesn't that title make you want to read this?)

This is my sweet middle daughter's bedroom. She selected the wall color and the fabric on the cushion and shades. She helped paint her bed and her bureau. She is a little decorator at heart, I think. She's also a dog lover. In fact, she sleeps with our two dogs every night. 


The other morning there was a mishap. 


It happens, right? Dogs can be messy critters.


So.....

On a whim. 

Without over thinking.

I plunged ahead.

Rather, I plunged underneath.





A little sanding, some coats of poly, new shoe molding, and we're good to go.



Uh, maybe not. So many black marks! So many pet stains! This is from years of abuse. The previous owners had installed carpet in this bedroom to avoid refinishing the floor.


And what's with the square-shaped mark? Was my house a kennel in its past life?


I've been Googling and YouTubing like crazy. Is there hope for this poor floor?


 Maybe not.


Middle daughter is pleased. I am skeptical. Actually, I am scared.

On Tuesday the experts are coming in to give their expert opinion. Fingers crossed we don't have to replace the whole thing.


At least there's a pretty view. Maybe I should show this view to the dogs. Remind them that this is where they're supposed to go when they need to go!

Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. We refinished the floors in our home a few years ago. We were lucky and did not have that many dark spots, but the ones we could not get out I say they give the home character. HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Suzanne. We have had a few instances of floors like that. I hope they can be salvaged but if it is pet urine stains it is almost impossible to "fix". xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll be fine Suzanne. Nothing a little sanding can't fix...pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a little refinishing and everything will be perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the floors and would leave them, dark marks and all. It's the character of the home:) When we built our new home I said no carpet ever again, you just can't get that pet smell out ever, no matter how many times you have it cleaned. I would rather have beat up, stained wood floors any day. Love the pink bed by the way, that is the perfect pink color:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a couple of choices...Go with it and the dark stains can add character, stain the wood dark or (GASP) paint it. Just THINK of all of the options if you decide to paint. Light or dark, stenciling, etc... A good couple of coats of poly and the floor will be impervious to what ever those dogs can do to it. Good luck and I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, the title just made us realize we are not the only ones with that problem.
    Love your daughters decorating style!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would still rather have stained hardwood floors than carpeting! Our whole upstairs is carpeted and I would LOVE to change it. I am sure you will be able to do something to fix it though! Good luck!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very amazed by the information of this blog and i am glad i had a look over the blog. thank you so much for sharing such great information.
    Bathroom remodel Queens NYC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dogs and a carpet are definitely not a good combination! It’s either the carpet will get frayed or stinky; which is your case it's the latter. So, what did the expert said about it? Did they give you an alternative option for your flooring?

    Gail Wallace

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...