Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Red Door

School's officially out for the summer as of last Friday. And what a whirlwind year it's been. Rising at 4:15 AM to write then getting ready and leaving the house before dark for many months. What a wonderful thing it was to drive to work in the daylight come spring! There were the usual challenges that go along with raising children and maintaining a household and trying to water the garden that is my marriage. I can't say this year of full-time teaching has been easy, but I can say it's been rewarding. This time last year I was filled with angst about everything, but now I'm so glad I took the plunge. I like the paychecks. I love my students. And it's good to feel that I'm back in the game.

For now, though, it's summer and time to play and read and write for as many hours as I want. And yesterday, I watched Sarah 101 while eating lunch! There are many projects on the list for summer. First on my list was to repaint the front door. It looks just okay here, but this shot was taken a while ago, and the front door was faded big time. So, it went from this....


To this!


There was a good bit of taping off and sanding and priming and sanding some more and second coating and lots of cleaning up. It's an oil based paint, the reason for the sheen. I absolutely LOVE the changes, though. It truly brightens up the entire house.

Take a look at these shots.


The water stains are annoying—could turn into another summer project.




The wreath was a deeply discounted (15 bucks!) JoAnn's find.


And here are a few front garden shots.




Iris is photo-bombing.


Some garden jewelry. Gnomes could be next. Seriously, outdoor trinkets are tempting.


I'm so glad you stopped by, and I am so happy to be blogging again. There's more to come.

9 comments:

  1. I love your door. I have one too. You home is just gorgeous. I am with you. Summer vacation is the best. The time to putter is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The door is beautiful, but the front of the house is very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am checking in from vacation and so happy to see you blogging again. I LOVE your red door and your view from there is just awesome- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your red front door is awesome! Your yard and garden area is so pretty too. I'm a teacher too (not working any more) and I understand how wonderful summer feels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! what a great pop of color! Looks wonderful along with your beautiful yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to see you blogging again...it sounds like you had a very busy year, but as you said, it was rewarding. I hope you get to kick back a lot this summer!

    Love your door! It really adds a nice punch of color to your house. I really love what a nice big yard you have, too. Everything looks wonderful!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful. I am fixing our porch up and wanted to paint our door a dark red, but our neighbors did theirs. Now I am not sure what to do,I don't want to feel like a copy cat. I also love your garden leading up to your door. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! So happy to see your post today. I love your red door! We recently painted our front door red too. Your landscaping looks wonderful.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...