Monday, June 24, 2013

Pretty Little Towns

I am a small town girl at heart. I'm also a girl who loves the water. Lucky for me I married a guy who feels the same way. And, so, we spend a great deal of time on the Eastern Shore of Maryland during the summer months. Our favorite pretty little towns are Oxford and St. Michael's, and this weekend we managed to squeeze in a quick trip to both.



My husband sailed from Oxford to St. Michael's. As the crow flies, it's about seven miles. By sailboat, however, it was a six hour trip (one way). The girls and I were not up for this, so we cheated and drove. Had a table and a beer waiting for the weary sailor when he arrived.


Youngest daughter said she would have no trouble traveling the distance in this boat, however.


We had crabs at our favorite spot, The Crab Claw, then headed to Justine's for ice cream. After that it was back to the sailboat for a peaceful night. If the weather's just right (not too hot or raining), sleeping on a boat is a little like sleeping in a cradle.


Just across from where we anchored is The Inn at Perry Cabin. It's a gorgeous place. We've witnessed many weddings from this spot. We've also stayed here a couple of times. Very, very nice!



The moon was shining bright on this first night of summer.



Youngest daughter would do gymnastics just about anywhere, boat included.


I had to get a shot of this dreamy little cottage. Just look at this wonderful porch. And those lovely colors.



After I stopped traffic with my picture taking, the girls and I headed to Oxford for a day at the pool.


A cool place to swim, minus the nettles, AND a view of the Bay to boot.




After a few hours of sun and fun, we headed to the market for what I've deemed The Best Chicken Salad Sandwiches on the Planet. They even serve fresh muffins in the morning, still warm and in the baking pan.


The park is right across the street, so the girls and I had a picnic.





There were even cardboard boat races.



I think my favorite part of these trips, other than the chance to hang with the family, are the lovely homes. I've nearly wrecked my bike more times than I can count (this past weekend included) because I am gawking at all the pretty sights.


 So many porches!


And picket fences. And neatly trimmed hedges.


Did I mention porches?


And picket fences?



Heck, even the garages are cute!



6 comments:

  1. Oh-I am so envious. We sold out boat several years ago and I SO loved sleeping aboard. I even liked sleeping there during rough weather if we were in safe harbor. Nothing like it in the world. Your girls look like they were having fun...what more could you ask for? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful weekend! I love small towns and water too. I grew up on a lake in Michigan right outside of a small town. My dream would be to live on a lake again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looked like a ton of fun!! What beautiful scenery everywhere too. I would love to go somewhere like that. I bet sleeping on the boat would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice family trip. Thank you for sharing the cute houses in the town. Your girls are darling.Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw you on Savvy S. S. and had to click over for a better look at that cute cottage. When I read your first few lines about liking a small town, water, the Eastern Shore . . . it describes where I live, except we are on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay in Alabama! Your photos could be of our sister city!

    Looks like a lovely vacation. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born and raised in Calvert Country MD, about 40 miles due south of the White House, most people are familiar with Solomons Island which would be about 10 minutes north of where I grew up in St. Leonard MD. I miss the water, but I hear it calling my name and I have dreams of being near it once again. I just found you blog and I am now following you on bloglovin. I would love for you to stop by my blog sometime.
    Thanks, Patty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...