Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pretty Foyer

When we first moved in over three years ago, there were so MANY things I wanted to change/fix/redo/undo. The colors in the house were too bland for my taste. The backsplash in the kitchen was just plain tacky. There were some seriously ugly light fixtures throughout, many of which resembled breasts for some odd reason. Not to mention a general lack of character and personality.

But the biggest change, the most sweeping change, was adding wallpaper to the foyer, downstairs and upstairs.


I love pictures on the wall, and I have a lot of family portraits. It was quite a feat getting these hung. It was downright scary putting nail holes in wallpaper!


When we were selecting wallpaper, I knew it would have to work with every room in the house, yet I didn't want things too matchy-matchy.






The light fixture you see was an Overstock find. The old one looked like a giant boob hanging from the ceiling. As for the bookshelf, it provides a good place for stuff. I do have to watch my love of stuff.


It's cold and dreary here this morning, but my front door says spring. This is the view for guests.



Inside looking out. Cold and dreary, like I said.


The foyer is tight, yet the wallpaper makes it feel much more open. Two things here: I want to paint the risers (rather, I want a professional painter to paint the risers); and I want a lovely mirror for the wall on the right. Haven't found the perfect one yet, though.


Said mirror would go here and reflect the bookshelf.


Lately, I've developed a penchant for canes. Maybe if I had to actually use one, I wouldn't like them so much. This umbrella stand I inherited from my MIL. For a while it was empty. I started out with three canes, but now I'm up to seven. There really are seven; one is hiding.


We planted five forsythia bushes this week, and I have fresh daffodils on my living room mantel. The calendar says spring. Now if Mother Nature would just get on board…

Happy Sunday!

Linking up with Savvy Southern Style!
http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/2013/03/wow-us-wednesdays-111.html

16 comments:

  1. I've always thought your foyer was gorgeous....it was a leap of faith to do it in wallpaper as it seems so "permanent", but you really gave your home a welcoming shot of personality and prettiness. I love the umbrella stand and canes, very classic!

    Good luck on all of your tweaking! And yes, I hear ya on the boob lights!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your foyer, it is gorgeous and I really like your wallpaper choice. So beautiful. Your home is lovely. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your foyer is lovely with the blue and white wallpaper! You have a warm and pretty home. Happy Sunday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing your beautiful foyer before...it is as gorgeous as I remembered. I love the bookcase in the hall and you are right a mirror across from it would really make the hall feel wider. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your entry...the wallpaper is so pretty! Love the pretty chandy too.
    Your home is a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your foyer! The wallpaper is so pretty and light! Thank you for sharing your home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree--Mother nature needs to look at the calendar! Your foyer is beautiful--love the wallpaper :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your foyer looks so light and airy. It makes me feel like spring might actually arrive at some point.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your wallpaper and white woodwork together. I have family pictures on my stairs and in the morning sometimes I can not help but tell them good morning as I descend the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your foyer is beautiful with the blue and white wallpaper. It looks so fresh and crisp.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I have just discovered your blog via Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesdays.
    I am so happy to find a post about wallpaper. It seems either no one talks about it or they simply never consider it. Yours by the way is really pretty and perfect for an entryway. I have just moved into a an old Victorian that has loads of papered walls. At first I was worried it would seem outdated (the paper itself is really nice-except the kitchen-not so much). Historic victorians have lots of wallpaper and I will honor that because I feel the house demands respect due to it's beauty and age.
    Anywho....just so nice to see a post directed at wallpaper. Thanks so much for sharing. Now I must go explore your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blue and white wallpaper! So lovely :) Easter greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your wallpapered foyer and you can't go wrong with blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wallpapered foyer is beautiful! I have started to collect canes also. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your foyer is lovely, I love the wall paper it's just beautiful... One day I'm going to have wall paper too...and you have a nice collection of canes going..hopefully you won't ever have to use one.. ~Blessings~ with love Janice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...