Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fall Decorations

My youngest daughter groaned when she saw the dusty orange boxes in the mud room.  She is so not ready for the end of summer, and I am normally right there with her.  But these past few days it's been "sweater weather," as my mother used to say.  In fact, I'm wearing my ratty old writing sweater this very second, which means it's time for my summer decorations to come down and the fall decorations to go up.  

And guess what?  For once, I am not groaning about this.  Perhaps this is because I spent so much of my summer worried about my new job.  Well, said job is off to a good start, and I am eager to have the hectic, crazy, INSANE month of September behind me.  

For today's post I decided to stick with my favorite room, the living room.  So here goes…


The wreaths are old, really old.  The candles and leaves I had on hand.  No purchases for today's decorating adventure.  Just using what I have.


I've mentioned before that my living room curtains work with every season.  Was this some sort of decorating genius foresight?  Nope.  Just dumb luck.  



Plastic pumpkins from the fabric store.  Same with the leaves.  Cheap.  Cheap.  Cheap.



I think my photography skills are improving.  No sweat pants clad me reflected in the mirror.



My limelight hydrangeas!  Love these flowers, and they dry out so nicely.


The silver tray on the coffee table belonged to my MIL.  I just filled it with plastic pumpkins and gourds and lit the votif candles.  Also cheap.  I bought them ages ago at Michael's.


I love the Tiffany lamp in the background.  The wheat came from Home Goods last year.








I struggled all summer with my vacant fireplace.  There was even a blog about my struggle.  Finally, I resorted to fake ferns.  By the end of the summer, the real plants were a mess.  It was a bit of an investment, but now I never have to struggle with a summer fireplace again.  Of course, in a couple of weeks it'll be time for a fire.  Oh, well…


For now this kind of fire is enough.


I hope your fall decorating is going well!  Thanks for stopping by.

Linking up with Savvy Southern Style's Wow-us Wednesdays and Debbie's Newbie Par-tay!
http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/2012/09/wow-us-wednesdays-84.html
http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/


18 comments:

  1. Honey, I am so sorry you had to worry about a new job...when I read that it took me back in time, when I would worry also. I thank God I am retired now. I will pray for you to have that job as long as you like.I love all your "cheap " decorating, it is still done in good taste. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks very pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your decorations are so pretty, festive but not overdone. I have a tendency to put EVERYTHING out! Not this year, hopefully! I love your wreaths and candles, they really set the mood and your mantel is simple and relaxed. I just brought my ferns in and was having trouble deciding where to put them...one is definitely going in front of the fireplace thanks to you!

    Have a great week...hope all goes well with your job!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it is gorgeous. I love all of your decor, just enough and not too much. Your drapes are stunning, all of my favorite colors. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your job is going well! Your decorations look lovely. I like how you've grouped all of the glass items on the mantle. Very pretty. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks nice but I just can't get over that mirror behind your piano--that is beyond gorgeous! Good luck with your job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne I haven't even pulled any of my Fall decorations out yet! Yours look beautiful! I never noticed the beautiful raised panel on your fireplace wall. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks wonderful and fall-like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! You have the knack for decorating, everything looks so cosy. I'm jealous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it looks beautiful. I love all your little touches and the fact you used what you had. I hope your job continues to go well for you.

    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your living room looks so lovely. I just love how you decorated it. I so wished we had a mantle in our home. I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the fall decor, IT looks fabulous and ready for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful fall colors, they look so pretty on the piano and mantel. Your drapes are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You fall decorating looks so lovely. I'm glad you had the time and energy to do all this, as I just read your previous post too, and see how busy and tired you are with working full-time. I can only imagine how hard it is, especially when you still have kids at home. Hope you're hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi-
    I just found your blog this evening-
    Your fall decorations are wonderful!
    I am a new follower-

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful!~ You have a beautiful touch of Fall elegance. Thanks so much for sharing with my party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your room is so inviting! How lovely it would be to curl up on the couch as a fire dances in the fireplace and sip a cup of hot tea. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...