Monday, May 21, 2012

What Would Kim Do?

http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/2012/05/wow-us-wednesdays-67.html

I've posted here before about how much I love Kim's Savvy Southern Style house, and on numerous occasions, I have copied her.  Last time I copied her, I added some canisters to my kitchen, and they look just lovely.  Kim was even kind enough to tell me where she got her canisters.





Recently, Kim did a post on some greenery she added to her summer fireplace.  And it turned out lovely!  Here's a link to the actual post in case you missed it.  http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-southern-thang.html

Since I have a magnolia tree in my yard, I decided to copy her once again.  Here are a few pics to illustrate how this went.


Ick.  Poor Cinderella.


But once everything was cleaned up, it looked fresh and pretty and ready for summer.  Right?




I actually have two fireplaces, so I added greenery to both of them.


 I checked this off the old to-do list and gave myself a sooty pat on the back.


Until a couple of days later when the greenery looked like this.


And this.


I tend to obsess over this sort of thing, and I knew I would be a tiny bit crazy until it was fixed (husband would say a LOT crazy).  So, I did what I do when the decorating going gets tough, and I asked myself: What would Kim do?

And then I did this.







You'll notice I switched out the basket for a copper container.  We normally keep wood in here during winter months.  The wicker basket was too pretty, and I didn't want to risk water damage.


As for that basket, I toyed with the idea of returning it to Target, but I can get lazy about that sort of thing.  Plus, I'd been wanting a pretty basket for laundry, and this fit the bill.

Now instead of this ugly thing,


I have this beauty.



As for future decorating ideas, I will continue to look to Kim and the rest of you for inspiration.


24 comments:

  1. Her blog is super, I think we have all gotten inspiration from her. Great canisters and the greenery looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can actually paint magnolia leaves and therefore preserve magnolia leaves. The fern looks great. I have two 1940's prints in my fireplace. I will stick anything in there that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kim's blog! Your fire places look great with the plants and such pretty plants too! I love ferns. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fireplaces look great! I must say, I just love Kim's style too. Her blog was one of the first blogs I ever read and I have barely missed a day since!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imitation is the finest form of flattery... Or something like that, right? Why reinvent the wheel? OK, enough sayings, It looks great! I love the fern and have them on my list to buy. I passed them up at Costco last week cause my basket was already full or I was lazy or something.
    XO Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah- That Kimmers is the best, isn't she? I love how yours turned out. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a pretty room and the Kim inspiration is the icing on the cake! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, that is so neat the way you put plants in the fireplace! and I love your basket...how clever to keep it for laundry!! I LOVE your house! My favorite colors are blue and yellow!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine died, too. Now my basket is empty till I figure out what to put in it. I love your big basket and love what the fern is in. Need a link added please. Thanks for the mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WELL DONE!!!

    I loce this post- it is humble and sweet and - well, successful!

    Great blog!

    (And Kim is indeed SAVVY!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of greenery in the fireplace for the summer.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kim: I found you through Kim's Wow Us Wednesday. I hope you will visit me at the Cottage. I'm looking forward to looking through your previous posts..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really sorry, I just called you Kim, but there was too many mentions of Kim,so I just typed it in. I do this on a regular basis, I'm afraid..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, I love Kim's stuff too, she's a keeper for sure! Love her linky party too, so many great features and links ... including yours. Love the way the greenery dressed up your fireplace for summer, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very good fix with the greenery! And I love that basket - it's definitely a keeper:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great basket! Enjoyed the story of each change.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look of greens in a summer fireplace. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea about adding greenery to the fireplace. I think I'll look for some faux greenery at Michaels (I have a 50% off coupon!) and try that with my own fireplace. Right now, I just have a candle display in there. Not too summery looking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great ideas! I love Kim's style but I also think you have great style and a beautiful home. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're so fortunate to have fireplaces that you can put greenery in during the warm months of summer. And you're lucky to have a magnolia tree in your yard! Color me green with envy. I would love to be able to copy you, but our fireplace has gas logs and is sealed with glass (it's ventless, I guess). Anyway, all of the greenery looks great and I love that basket. I agree with Michele - Kim's home is lovely, but so is yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! How are you doing? Great, I hope! and I hope you're having a wonderful start to summer!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow...the green is a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The containers are a great idea. A little green in the fireplace adds so much for the summer time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...