Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sweet Spots II


I just love pretty things.  I love green ivy and pretty bowls and glass-top tables, freshly Windexed.



I love birds.  Today, I kid you not, I had one quiet moment, a single one.  Want to know where I was?  The McDonald's drive-thru.  I was waiting in line, and it was raining and yucky and I was irritated for reasons I won't go into here.  And then…well, I heard a bird chirping.  Not singing, but chirping, and he sounded so happy and full of himself.  Yes, even in the McDonald's drive-thru you can transcend!


There is something wrong with this Home Goods chicken.  Looks like he's sticking his tongue out.  I wanted to do that (or worse) a couple of times today.  Maybe that's why I like my Home Goods chicken.


I've taken two decorating classes in my life, and the lady who taught them had crystals hanging in her kitchen window.  They were magical with their little rainbows.  That's what I learned in my decorating class.  Have a few magical crystals and enjoy the rainbows.


Color makes me happy.  I probably wouldn't do well in New York City.


Sweet babies—oldest daughter who is now 22 on the right, and youngest daughter who is now 10+ on the left.  Life goes fast.


My dear friends had this plate made for me the Christmas after my first hardcover novel, Artichoke's Heart, was released.  I cried like a baby when I saw this lovely gift.  I also cried like a baby when I broke the original version of it.  Ever so kindly the same artist made a replacement the following year.  I was told quite firmly NOT to break this one.


Plates, plates, plates.  The other day I saw these gorgeous plastic plates, and for a moment I stood in the store and thought about it.  Yes, I actually considered hanging plastic plates on my wall.  I solemnly swear to draw the line at paper plates, however.


A lantern to light the way.


A painting my hubby bought years before he met me.  Honestly, I love the frame as much as the painting.


A silver brush and mirror that once belonged to my MIL.  You can't see it here, but her monogram is engraved there.  She would polish these, but I like the time-worn look of tarnish.  Okay, I am way too lazy to polish silver.


My grandparents were farmers.  One Christmas my husband surprised me with this painting.  I am amazed every time I look at it.  Such a gift to be able to paint like this!


This glass bowl of fruit came from Home Goods.  I love it.  I don't know why.


Blogs are great, but there is nothing like flipping through those pages again and again.


You are supposed to notice the painting, but perhaps some of you will spot the cobweb.  This creation was purchased at a church art show.  I like to think it was painted by some retired lady who finally fulfilled her dream of becoming an artist.  Guess that's the writer in me.


13 comments:

  1. What a heart-warming post. It makes me KNOW you better, if that makes sense....from the irritation in McD's drive-through to the paintings...to the cobweb. Lordy, I LOVE real! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when a home's decor has a story, just like yours did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a magazine nut too. I have scaled back to about three (maybe four) subscriptions. Polish the mirror/brush set soon or it will pitt and you will never forgive yourself. IE: husbands baby cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful displays, I love both paintings. They are true treasures:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have many sweet spots throughout your home Suzanne! Your paintings are all so pretty, love the little one that was your hubby's. Love that first shot of your living room too! Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to browse through your sentimental pieces! Those paintings are gorgeous. That farm painting reminds me of the area where I grew up. Just beautiful!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed all of your sweet spots. The paintings are lovely and the artichoke plate - well I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, my favorite part is you at Mc Donald's drive through, having a quite moment the best quite moment in my opinion, listening to God's gift the chirping of a bird....I love to sit in the Garden in the a.m. and hear the birds chirping and singing...You know I raised five children and I never had time for me or any real quite time...so I would wake up at 6 a.m. just to have some me quite time...now my children are all grown and I go into the Garden and enjoy all the time, me time I want...great post love the paintings Love the glimpse of the blue and white wall paper and curtain...Happy weekend..with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing some of your pretty things! I have a bird obsession, too. Love to hear them chirping outside and my living room has quite a few (choke, choke) bird figurines and nests. Also love my magazines...subscribe to and read so many, that I barely have time to keep up with all my books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so fun to capture some of our favorite things on a blog post. You did it so well here ~ I enjoyed the tour through your home highlighting special items you've been given or collected over the years.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful home! I had to laugh when I saw the chicken. I think I need a chicken like that one, too. I often feel like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post! I like your sense of style a lot! The plates on the wall and the lantern...it's all so inviting. I agree with you about the magazines, and I have stacks of them all over the house!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  13. An Edwardian lady in full dress was a wonder to behold, and her preparations for viewing were awesome.Bridal silks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...