Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Office/Workout/Laundry/Play/Music Room

Our old house did not have a basement.  It had a creepy, spidery, cob-webby, floody, icky cellar.  I miss a LOT of things about my old house.  I do not miss the cellar.

When we purchased our new-to-us house, we asked the seller to finish the basement.  The budget was tight, as there were lots of wants on our wish list, but I'm pretty happy with what we ended up with, at least for the most part.  And, best of all, my girls have a place to hang.

We painted the walls banana cream because this typically chilly space needed warmth and light.  Though we do have small windows, it still gets a tad dark in here.  The cheerful paint scared the contractors, but in the end they actually liked it, too.  Everything you see is something we already had, leftovers from our old house, flea market finds, rehabbed furniture, hand-me-downs, etc.  The floors look like real wood, but they're actually laminate.  We ruled out carpet because of the dogs.

I just refinished that coffee table.  It used to be scratched and water-marked and yucky dark brown.  Inspired by so many bloggers, I redid it with ASCP.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out.



This bookshelf was a cast-off from my hubby's office.  We have so many books!


These chairs were purchased on the cheap at a flea market.  Several years ago I had them recovered.


The sofa is slip-covered, and while I love the theory that you can "simply" rip off the covers and wash them, I find that this is more time-consuming and not as "simple" as magazines suggest.  Frankly, it's a pain in the neck.



Love the needle point pillow.  The table was a hand-me-down from my MIL when she down-sized several years ago.

This tulip lamp is one of my favorites.  I found it at Home Goods quite a while ago.  The original shade wasn't nice enough, so I replaced it and bought a pretty finial.


The little white table came from an antique store.  It reminded me of the furniture in my childhood bedroom.



We had tons of family photos in our old house, but no real place for them here.  This long, empty passageway seemed like no-man's land at first, so I turned it into a gallery—sort of.


One of my favorite finds when I was decorating was this horse picture.  All three of my girls ride, and I knew they'd love it.  It was yet another very inexpensive Home Goods find.  My two youngest daughters made the flag paintings over the TV.





This tattered hand-me-down rug brightens the space and doesn't show dirt!

The basement is also where the American Girl dolls do their primping.


In my perfect world, we would have a massive bookcase on this wall to store things like this.





The basement is also where I work out when it's too yucky to run outdoors.  I purchased this Stair Master years ago.  It's a nice set-up and out of the way, thankfully.  Workout equipment just isn't pretty in my opinion.

One of my best girlfriends gave me this plaque years ago.  It inspires my workout:-)

Just to keep it real, there is usually a major pile of laundry heaped on the floor.


I love bulletin boards.  I also like the fact that I can see these pictures while I work out or attempt to tackle the dirty clothes pile. 


My girls love to make things.  This table was in the breakfast room at our old house, but since this house doesn't have that kind of space, we set it up here as a place to draw or paint. The ledge above the table is perfect for all those treasures my girls make at school or art camp.


The space is not perfect by any means, and if my budget were limitless (it is not), I would create something much sleeker and cleaner and maybe more sophisticated.  Still, though, I like that it's cozy down under and bright and cheerful, too.


16 comments:

  1. What a bright cherry room. Love the color of the walls. Sure doesn't look like a downstairs basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cheerful-like you! And I agree with Debby--it DOESN'T look like a basement. Very cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks bright and pretty--love the wall of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color of the coffee table. Really like that you are displaying your family pictures. I have mine on my staircase (which I need to redo) and when I walk down in the am I say "goodmorning" to all my relatives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your basement. We had a couple of houses with cellars and they were always creepy to me. I love the color of the walls down there. It is bright and cheery and reminds me of Banana Cream Pie...(you can tell I like sweets, huh). That table you finished is just right with the colors you have there. This is a GREAT family hang-out. Now...when did you want to come and help me with the rest of our basement? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. I love what you have done. It all looks so wonderful. I also love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colorful room and thank you for the tour.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello...

    Ohhh...you have such a beautiful basement area! I love it! I really like the banana cream wall color...it really does keep the space light! Love your newly refinished coffee table! I have a few pieces that I have wanted to try the ASCP on...your table turned out beautiful. I can just tell by the space that your entire family loves to "hang out" there...totally awesome! I really would have loved to have an area, when my girls were little, where they could play games and be creative. A wonderful and beautiful space, my friend! Thank you for sharing it with us today.

    I just read your sweet note and wanted to come over to thank you for visiting. I'm just tickled that you added Happy To Design to your list of blog follows. I'm adding your delightful blog to my list as well. It's so very nice to meet you!

    Warmest spring wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing love your post! I new follower, come follow be back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great space for your girls! I love it, and it is so cozy looking I would never dream this is a basement. Thanks so much for joining the newbie party! Always a pleasure to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color too, I can imagine that it would scare guys. Lol. I also love the little lighthouse bird cage you have in a couple shots. : ).. Such a great touch. All in all, it's such a great tour and such a great, cozy little spot. Really makes me want to do something with our finished basement too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a fabulous space and one that the whole family can enjoy. I am sure the girls love every minute they spend there. Your colors are bright and cheery and create such a welcoming space. Great job. Looks like all the girls are such talented artists too. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful space! The happy colored walls are a perfect place for all of your treasured family photos! It shows how important family is to you! And I just love all the signs of your kiddies! So precious! Someday, sooner than you think, that will all be gone!!! I am thinking of a slipcovered sofa purchase. Good to know that the washing/putting back on process is not as easy as many make it out to be!
    Oh, goodness I should be so brave to show you the pile of laundry on my bedroom floor!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great multi purpose space. I love the color on the walls and your newly painted table looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great space. It doesn't seem like a basement at all. You've done a great job of making it multi-purpose and the paint color is so refreshing. Again, you forget you're looking at a basement. Fantastic job!

    I'm hosting a linky party for "favorite rooms" and think yours would be perfect. I'd love for you to join us. Here's the link:
    http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/2012/04/whats-your-favorite-room-linky-party.html

    Shasta @ In The Old Road

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is really superb. What a swag. I really love the designs and the interior.



    Vinyl flooring perth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...