Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where I Went Part II

On the heels of our trip to Oxford, Maryland, I had a book talk at a middle school in Charleston, South Carolina.  It was so much fun!  Perfectly planned and organized and promoted, and it made all the lonely days I spend at my computer worth it!  There is nothing quite so inspiring and uplifting and funny and heartwarming as a bunch of excited middle school girls.



This is like Where's Waldo, except it's Where's the Old Lady?  




After a morning of talking and answering lots of questions, the middle school staff and volunteers had a reception for me—Southern Hospitality at its finest.

This beautiful spread was prepared by a school volunteer, the grandmother of one of the girls.



Isn't this lovely?  And I can't remember the last time I went to anything and there was a punch bowl.  I got seriously excited when I saw that punch bowl!

After we had a chance to snack, the girls who attended the reception had lots of questions.  Toward the end one girl said, "So what happened to Rosie and all those other characters?"  Rosie, short for Rosemary, is the protagonist in Artichoke's Heart.  I paused and glanced around at all these sweet, young faces.  Instead of answering, I said, "What do y'all think happened to her?"  I kid you not, nearly every hand in the room shot up.  Honestly, it choked me up a little.  To think that I had created characters that these girls cared about was slightly overwhelming, a dream come true, actually.  I realized something, too.  Once you put a book, even if it's your book, out into the world, it belongs to all those who read it.  




To make the trip even more wonderful, one of the teachers donated the use of her beach house.  It was such a pretty place.  And I got to take one of my oldest and dearest besties so I had company while staying here.  Two days of non-stop catching up!





On our last night in town, the guidance counselor who put this whole fabulous visit together came out to dinner with bestie and me.  


I kept threatening to stay in Charleston forever, but I did finally return home with lots of happy memories and a renewed spirit.  

11 comments:

  1. Now, that's my idea of a book tour! Food, fans, friends and the ocean. That is definitely a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun. I am from South Carolina and Charleston is very hard to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you! Beautiful accommodations. Charleston is such a lovely city. We lived in Savannah for over 10 years and loved hopping over to Charleston. Hope you get many more good book tours like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great trip! Glad that you had fun. I'm sure that you made quite an impression on the girls that were able to attend your talk. That grandmother was so sweet to make such an attractive refreshment table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely trip! I refreshments looked great! Thanks for sharing :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from the Open House Linky Party! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place, You should be very proud of yourself you are an inspiration to all those girls and us girls here in blogland .Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip you had and such a success with your book, knowing how much it is loved.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a fabulous time! Love those beach photos. How sweet and kind to give you use of the beach house! My boss is going to Charleston next week and my office mate goes there all the time because her daughter moved there last year! I love Charleston!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like your time at the beach was spent in a lovely place. There's no better place to recharge your batteries than by the water. There is just something about it...so glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cool! I love sharing books with kids - would be even better if I had written it myself! :)

    And Charleston is, without a doubt, my favorite place on earth!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...