Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Trouble With Mat

Recently I purchased a few new things, one of them being a new mat for my kitchen sink area.  Riveting, I know, but I'm the sort of person who finds this exciting.  




This one is a Dash & Albert, and I love it—perfect size, perfect color, just the right amount of that country look I so love.  The problem, however, is that Mat One gets dirty.  Like, really dirty.  He's a bit of a perv that way.


Recently, I paid $30 to have mat reformed dry-cleaned.  I know.  I know.  I paid $29.00 for Mat One.  It was crazy.  I also Scotch Guarded him afterwards.  But a dirty Mat is a dirty Mat.  Within days, he was filthy again.


So…


I purchased Mat Two.




Some of you will recognize him.  He's from a very famous family company.  Oh, how I loved Mat Two.  He was soft around the edges, but so…so…exotic with that French accent and all.  I couldn't understand a word he said, but I was smitten and did not care.


Until…


I came down to the kitchen the next morning and noticed something unfortunate.  Mat Two had a terrible, terrible smell.  One that did not go away.  




It broke my heart, truly, but I had to give Mat Two his walking papers.




This morning I was browsing around a local garden center.  I am in the mood for spring, I tell ya.  There were lots and lots of other Mats.  Mats with roosters and dogs and sea shells.  There was even a Mat that said "Go away."  


Finally, I came across this Mat.  He was conservative and sturdy, but not stuffy.  So, I picked him up.  If you're under 18, you should not be reading this!




Please don't judge me.  I know I may be moving too quickly, but Mat Three is staying.  I'm hoping we'll live Happily Ever After.



Oh, and here's what else I bought.


A pretty new plant.  Score!






And last week I installed new hardware in the kitchen.






The old stuff was just too clunky for my taste.





There was a pillow at Home Goods I couldn't resist—Ralph Lauren for $24.00.  Apparently, Maddie can't resist it, either.





Iris insisted on being included in this blog, although her pillow has been around for a while.  It was a Tuesday Morning find.






So happy and grateful you stopped by to hear my sordid Mat story.


25 comments:

  1. I'm partial to 3rd Mat too! Hold on to him, he's a keeperQ :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mat #3! He is a keeper.

    Your new hardware looks great! I'm in the mood for spring, too. This afternoon I almost bought a few Primroses but resisted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love Maddie and Iris to pieces! Love Mat # 3 he is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maddie and Iris are both adorable. Cute post and I like your new Mat, definitely a keeper along with the pillow. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love mat 3. I also have a Dash and Albert rug in my downstairs guest bath and it is starting to look a little worn...I have thought about throwing it in the wash even though the tag says to clean professionally. I will let you know how it turns out! By the way your dogs are darling. I can't wait till my puppy is able to be trusted around the house...until then I am suffering from sleep deprivation - ughhh! Enjoy the rest of your week!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I am so glad you came by my blogs! I know your Red Lobster Biscuits will be great that is an easy recipe! I am now following you...Love your blog.
    Dolly
    of Hibiscus House
    dolly is cooking and
    dolly's designs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    just found you and have enjoyed browsing thru. Maddie and Iris are adorable and look like they found the perfect place to nap! Love mat 3, looks perfect. I have a similar but larger one by my front door. I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit me. Will be back often!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad Mat 2 didn't work out. He was pretty cool. I think Mat 3 works really well with your decor. Love the pillow too. Thanks for visiting my blog, and following. Following you back.
    xoxoRosemary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mat #3 it is! Think it looks great! Your hardware looks awesome, great choice! I enjoyed your cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there new friend! Sarah here from Macayla's room visiting and now following! I just about died laughing, poor mat 1 & 2, yay for mat 3! PS LOVE LOVE LOVE your curtains post too! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad that one of those Mats finally showed you the love you deserve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what it is about Mat's but I have problems with them too. Never can find exactly what I want! And now several of mine are really showing their wear and tear.
    I got a kick out of your dog/pillow photos. Looks so similar! The same thing happens around here on a daily basis as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister was telling me that she bought a rug from Lowes {i'm sure it happens other places as well} and she couldn't figure out the bad smell in her house until she realized it didn't start to smell until the rug was put in the room. She turned the rug over and it had MOLD on it. Who knew a rug could smell so bad?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by and your hilarious comment. The year old stuff is not candy, it's candles. Year old candy really would be weird. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your lovely home (and blog!) and I'm so glad I did! I love your down to earth writing style, and your sense of decorating style is right up my alley! Beautiful, cozy home you have!! I'll be back to visit soon. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mat 3 looks great, but I had one like that by my sink and it didn't turn out well. You can't wash them. My son spilled a bowl of brownie batter on it and as you can imagine in all those cracks it never came out. My mat had to be ditched. Just keep brownies at bay and hopefully things will work out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol! I think you and "mat" are a match made in heaven. :-) And your new kitchen hardware is just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  19. He descubierto tu blog y me ha gustado su contenido. Desde hoy lo sigo, si lo deseas te invito a conocer mi blog y si es de tu agrado, me gustaría tenerte como seguidora en mi blog para seguir en contacto. Un saludo muy cordial.
    Manoli.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You dogs are so cute, I love picture of the one trying to get up on the pillow...cute pillows, too! Great choice on mat #3, we have mat #2 and you are right it did come with a smell (happy to say it doesn't smell any more!) Your kitchen hardware looks very pretty. Happy to be your newest follower, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I smiled all that way through this post. Then the cute little pups and pillows. I am following you now. Love the blog name by the way. Did you see where mine comes from? We have something in common, other than the three girls. Love too, that your blog is not all pinterest picures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute post and I really like the look of your 3rd mat. Also the great RL pillows. RL's home goods are always perfect in my book. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, such cute pictures of Maddie and Iris! I love Mat#3 - very nice!!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely new kitchen hardware it does make a big difference!!
    Your little pups curled up with your new RL pillows, so sweet!
    Great choice for mat#3!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE this!!! My party just started...I would LOVE to have you stop by and share your projects!!! XO Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...