Sunday, January 15, 2012

Welcome To My OLD House

We don't live here any longer.  In fact, we moved over two years ago now.  I have to say, this house STILL tugs at my heart strings.  It was built in the 1880s, and it had that ingredient that is almost impossible to find in a newer home: character.




This is the entryway/dining room.  The floors were scratched and creaky.  Even now I can hear the sound of footsteps across them.






The best part about this old house were the windowsills.  I loved the depth, perfect for candles or greenery at Christmas.


  
Here's the living room.  We had lots of room for our books in this house, too.




This chair has since been slip-covered.  That painting over the mantel is now in our dining room.




Our old family room.  We actually had room to stretch out in here.  I miss this!




See the heart in the window?  It came from my mom's old house.  I salvaged it after she died.  The light looked pretty reflected through it, and it made me feel that she was still with me.  She was/is, after all.  




The proceeds from the sale of my childhood home paid for my new kitchen here.  Mama would've liked that.  Oh, you should've seen it before.  I so loved my farm sink and the glass cabinets.  I also liked the white appliances.  I know, stainless steel is all the rage, but I honestly prefer the white ones for some reason.






I never dreamed I'd be sharing these pictures.  I simply took them to remember.  Too much clutter for my taste now.




This was the old butler's pantry.  So nice to have that added space!




And this was our little breakfast room.  It was the perfect space for doing school projects or growing things.  I miss having a spot to put that out-of-control plant.  See that jade  plant in the window?  It did not survive the move, sadly.






A glimpse at the old master.  I made those curtains and the big blue pillows.  The curtains nearly killed me, I tell you.  I do not have the patience or talent for such things.




My two youngest daughters shared a room back then.  Now they each have their own space.  Isn't this cozy, though?




Almost forgot the teeny powder room, also part of the kitchen renovation.  I made that curtain, too.  Fringe hides many things!  The other bathrooms aren't worth showing, trust me.


Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane.  




""/>

19 comments:

  1. Such a fabulous house. I love how much character and all of your decor is lovely. I sure miss my last home also, it wasn't a beautiful vintage one, but I loved it so much. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, such a lovely home!! I love your style, and how comfortable and welcoming your homes look!! That kitchen, I would've love to cook in there!Just Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your old home is lovely! I hope the new owners love it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour, I agree the deep window sills are great for decorating, and the squeaky floors are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very charming! Love the little heart in the window, it holds so much sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over from The Scribbler. Your old house is CHARMING!!!! Love the charcter of old houses. My son has lived inm several very old homes and each one had it's own personality. Loved your kitchen rodo too. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a charming and lovely home, each photograph was just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tour of your old home! Aren't old houses the best?! I'm one of your newest friends! Drop by for a visit sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that house is so sweet and charming! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why you loved this home so much. The charm shines right through. I miss the house we sold two years ago it had such beautiful stain glass windows. Oh well....just one of those things. Now I'm working on the new/used house we purchased two years ago this coming May. The projects just never end, but then that's the fun of being a home owner right.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful home. I love the floors, the classic details and the step down to the living room. I can see why you miss it. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely enjoyed your tour. I have my own pic from my old homes. I do this too from time to time. Your home was lovely and I see why you would miss it. I love the little red heart in the window, I understand for the same reason. Pretty curtains and the girls room was so sweet for sisters. Thanks for sharing something so close to your heart.

    ~Emily
    The French Htuch

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love old houses, too, and have lived in several, including the one I grew up in. You just don't have the character and the solid feel in a few house. However, the newer one we live in now is much less labor intensive!

    ETS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home is so pretty! I love your dining room table! :) Sweet kitchen too!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely!
    ... I understand you miss it.

    Greetings from Australia♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great house! Definitely filled with character and charm! Thanks for sharing.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a beautiful home and full of character! You are right, old houses have a special charm about them! Truly beautiful!!!

      Delete
  17. I can see why you loved this house... it has so much character! And, I think the salvaged heart is the sweetest thing ever. Just found your blog, and I'm looking forward to following along :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely home...I have been reading your blog for a couple of years, but somehow missed this post. It would have been heartbreaking to leave this home.
    I have a heart in my kitchen window....very similar to yours and has a similar story :^)
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...