Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Snowy Day

When my girls were little, one of our favorite books was The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.  It was a quiet, contemplative story about the wonder of winter.  


   
We got our own snowy day here on the hill.  Lucky for me, I planned ahead.  No, that does not mean extra toilet paper or milk from the grocery store.  In fact, I couldn't even make pancakes this morning because we were out of eggs.  What I did have, however, was this.




The family would've preferred pancakes, trust me.


A while ago I showed you my master bath redo. I repainted the walls, as well as the white mirrors you see here.  Like so many other projects around this house, I kinda went Eh when it was done.  




What I didn't say Eh about, however, was this little guy from Anthropologie.  I'm hooked on him, actually.




He's such a little cutie, isn't he?  




Isn't he?  Humor me here.  




The white mirrors just weren't doing it for me, so yesterday (in anticipation of The Snowy Day) I stopped by this wonderful little store, a place where EVERYONE gets excited over towel hooks and cans of paint, and I bought this.




Then I came home and hid all the evidence so the husband wouldn't panic. When colors like this show up, it's best to keep him in the dark for a while, like, till whatever is getting painted is painted.  Don't judge me.


Antibes green is the color, and because I didn't want my bathroom mirrors to look like ugly golf jackets, I also picked up this.




Honestly, I felt like I was about to commit a crime when I saw the color of this stuff.  Fortunately, I had a good sales lady who warned me in advance.  Plus, I've stalked all y'all's (is that even a word?) blogs enough times to know that dark wax looks good…eventually.




Initially, it looked like this.  NOT gonna lie, it freaked me out a little.




After a good coat of dark wax, it looked more like this.  See what a difference that dark wax makes?




I also didn't get all perfectionist-ish on the leftover white.  I figured the more colors the merrier.  Plus, I was too lazy to go to the basement for the painter's tape.  I just did my best to stay clear of the glass.


Bathroom mirrors went from this…




To this.






Sing it one more time!  This…




To this.






Now if Benjamin Moore's dill pickle green doesn't wake you up in the morning, I don't know what will.  Here's the view from the bathroom window.






So pretty.  The kind of day that makes you stop and think about life OR paint your mirrors crazy green.


Because the light was so great inside, I just kept snapping pictures.  My husband swears dreary days are best for taking interior shots.




You'd think it was a summer's day outside.  



These shots are totally random.  














And that's how I spent The Snowy Day.


As of this post, I have fifty-one followers, and I am grateful to all of you.  


P.S. Hubby liked the mirrors:-)

13 comments:

  1. Love the mirrors! Also love 'dill pickle'...my sister used it in her kitchen and it looks great!!
    Blessings and enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mirrors! And I like the color of your bath! Enjoy your snow -- we're still snowless and counting the days until spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your house! The mirrors are awesome! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mirror look wonderful! Love green one of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the green on your mirrors. It adds a nice pop of color to your bath.

    No snow here, just rain, but it was still nice to be inside for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few little painting projects of my own that I need to get to; thanks for the inspiration.
    Your home is beautiful; I love the touches of yellow and the gorgeous views!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well.. 52 followers now! Thanks for joining me, I always follow anyone who has done the same for me!

    Love all the green. Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mirrors turned out great and they go so well with the dill pickle green. That reminds me of the book I recently read "The Fixer Upper", by Mary Kay Andrews where the main character used dill pickle green in her make over. Yummy color.
    I'm number 54 follower. :)
    Have a great week,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your home is so beautiful....and I could get lost in Home Goods too! I'm your newest follower--Nice to meet you!
    xo
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. They turned out great! And I love the way the mirrors look next to the pop of color in those flowers! I hide things from my husband till I am finished too. No use in stressing him out before the project is complete...after all, he usually doesn't have the vision of what it will look like in the end! Enjoy the rest of the day!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am new to your blog and in love with everything. I am with Babs on Mary Kay Andrews books, you would love them too. My question is where did you get the lovely green blanket with pom poms? I so adore it.Thanks for sharing your beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the way your mirrors turned out, heck I love everything about your bath and beautiful bedroom!! Gotta love chalk paint, it's so addicting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...