Monday, January 2, 2012

The Fat Lady Is Singing

It's been a season of gluttony around here—cream cheese bourbon pecan pound cake (glad I don't have to say that when I answer the phone!), red velvet cake, Christmas cookies, ham, ham, and, please Lord help me, MORE ham.  But the season of gluttony is over.  Tomorrow my kids go back to school. The next day I return to work (and the gym!).  It feels good to have my house back to normal.  Take a look at what I've been doing these last couple of days.




Dead tree gone.  Check.




Lights carefully stored away.  Check.




Mess from tree cleared away.  Ornaments tucked in a safe place.  Check.




Red velvet cake pitched to avoid more gluttony.  Nope.  Not a chance.




But the house is looking clean and pretty and ready for the long winter days ahead.  Check it out.




Switched back to my crazy colorful candles and clear glass candle holders.  Love these!  And if life gives you lemons, I say put those babies in a bowl.  You know I love yellow.




And the water color painting is back.  




Love that pretty piano.  And the mirror.  And the orchid (not real, btw).  The painting came from an art show at a nearby church.  Happy colors to keep me sane this winter.



Remember this mess?


 Ta-daaa!




All cleaned up now.  More lemons (fake) and a touch of ivy (real).




I bought this glass fruit bowl at Home Goods many years ago.  I love it when you've had things tucked away and rediscover them.  Almost like Christmas.  I said almost.  I'm not ready to do that again for a very long time.  Now if I can peel off those four pounds I gained, it really will be a Happy New Year.







""/>

17 comments:

  1. House is looking good!! Our red velvet was eaten the same day it was baked, thank God it's gone until next Christmas! I love red velvet! I have not taken the tree down yet, I will deal with that by the weekend, I need a day or two of complete nothingness!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear ya! I have eaten more than I thought was possible these past few weeks! But like you, I did the massive clean up in my house yesterday. I feel so much better that every single fragment of Christmas decor is now neatly stored in boxes in the basement! Your house looks so nice and fresh. Happy New Year to you!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful home you have! feels good to clean up after the holidays:) following you from Debbie's party, love to have you visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the romantic touches in your home! Visiting from Debbiedoos newbie party and just followed! Would love to see you around at my place too!
    Love, Olga
    www.stardust-decorstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't it feel good to have the Christmas mess behind you? I'm not looking forward to going back to work but I am looking forward to a routine and not so much "eat when I want to" time. I predict that the gym will be pretty crowded this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fresh and clean! I'm still working on it, and I still have company!

    Thank you for for sharing at Potpourri Friday. I wish you a healthy, prosperous and sparkling New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't it feel great to get the house all cleaned up. We took everything down on New Year's day and my house feels all fresh again. I'd love for you to join in my link party that opens each Tuesday night at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Life Made Lovely. I took down all my decorations yesterday and it feels good to get my house back! Love the colorful candles on your mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is looking fabulous. I love all of your vignettes, so pretty. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a really cute house! I especially like your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a bright and lovely room. Love the wicker chairs and the window treatments in your dining room. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty home. I love your table and blue chairs and that hutch in the dining room. I hope to see more of it some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are ready and all cleaned up. Loved your pretty colorful vignettes. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am still packing away Christmas ever so slowly! What a lovely home you have. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope twenty twelve is everything you wish for and more. I am so glad I found you. I will follow on my way out so I can revisit. I hope you can find the time to come visit me and do the same. I look forward to engaging throughout the year. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I packed Christmas things away, as well, although tree needles do pop up on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omigosh your home is so gorgeous! I'm so happy to have found this blog and can't wait to go grab a cup of coffee and browse around some more. I just love your traditional style! Of course I'm going to be following along from now on. Pop over for a visit sometime!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...