Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Family Womb



Welcome to our family womb, as we affectionately call it.  Here's a view from the front door.  




This is where we spend most of our family time.  It's a tight squeeze when all five of us, plus two dogs are here, hence the nickname.  But it's colorful and cozy.




The color is Benjamin Moore's "old navy," and it took a year to find.  I wanted something true blue.






Initially, the walls here were a beige-ish shade of yellow.  Very bland.  I wanted to make this place lively.




If you've browsed around here, you know we are fond of oriental rugs.  They last.  And they're pretty.


We have our creature comforts, of course.  Pillows, blankies…




and my favorite thing…




It's an addiction.  Not even kidding.




My friends brought this back from France.  Oooh-la-la.  That's the extent of my French.




And then there's this vignette.  So hard to work around TV stuff.  Love the big yellow candle holder.




The views are nice, too.  I love living in the country.  Later on I'll show you that patio.  The hubby built it.  Not the best time of year for an outside tour, however.


Moving right along to the kitchen.








I am a light-colored cabinet kinda girl.  We changed out the backsplash last year.  No more glass tile from the big box store.  Yippee! Squint and look closely.  You'll notice the handles on the right cabinet don't match.  I'm thinking of changing out the hardware. 






The other change we made was the lighting.  The old fixtures were too bulky and not hung at the proper height.  These were a splurge from my favorite lighting place—Schoolhouse.  Guess it's the teacher in me.






I also want to replace some of the solid cabinets with glass doors.  Seeded glass, please.  There's the guard duck. He needs a coat, I think.




This room is filled with things that make us comfortable.  


















Okay, it's time to make stew (with butternut squash-yum) and build a fire.  
Stuff and Nonsense

10 comments:

  1. Oh! It looks like the most wonderful place to gather a family. I love the color of the walls and your rug is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - thanks so much for visiting! I do believe we are kindred spirits -- I had so much fun looking back through your blog.

    I will follow, and look forward to seeing you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your kitchen and den are lovely... and I know you enjoy the view your windows.. how awesome! I'm sorry you couldn't get on Bella Nest yesterday, not sure what's going on with that. Maybe you could try again. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely home. I'm wondering if there are small children there, b/c it's so cozy and neat:)

    Love your touch of blue and white...I love Spode Blue Italian...can't tell if that's what that plate is?

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first first to your beautiful cottage! I love the same colors. I have navy blue couches and I agree with you, blues are hard to find in the right shades.
    I love your home, the love shows right through..a sweet and peaceful place to me. I have become your newest follower..
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "womb" is a lovely and cozy place! I appreciate you linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blue. In fact I have been looking for a good navy to paint my kids bathroom so it is nice to see how that navy looks on the walls - since I always use Benjamin Moore! What a warm and inviting space you have!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your true blue walls...very lively and pretty! Such a warm and cozy family womb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about your place! Can you tell me where you purchased your bamboo blinds???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...