Friday, January 6, 2012

Built-in Redo

A few weeks ago, I posted some pictures of our master bedroom, a room that we have struggled with, I might add.  Very little light, not much space, and no real closet to speak of. Well, there is a closet, but I like clothes.  'Nough said.  








I have to tell you, though, I really like this room now, and you can see more on its transformation here if you're interested.  I love that it's clean and fresh without much clutter, and the touches of YELLOW make me happy.


Last year we had these built-ins installed, which is what this post is really about.




It was a substantial investment, but we decided that it would be worth it—more room for our things and probably good for resale down the line.  The built-ins are pretty, but I have to be honest.  The drawers don't slide very well.  Pull too hard and they'll come off track.  And the finish?  It looks nice and shiny in photos, but it feels rough to the touch, as in, snag your sweaters rough.  Next time, I will do my homework and select a better built-in guy.


In the meantime, this abominable snow thing needed color, and I voted for…  


YELLOW!




It's just paint, right?  So last weekend I took the plunge.







Instantly, I felt happier with this piece and not quite so disappointed about all its flaws, and I'm lucky to have a place to put my things and a warm bed to sleep in and a husband and family.  See how yellow can transform my thinking?  So, I added a couple of pictures and the adorable pitcher my good friend gave me for Christmas.




That empty space to the right of the pictures will eventually get filled in with something different.  In other words, not a picture or a plate.  Maybe one of those cute little antler things. 


A few weeks ago I also showed you a picture of the existing bookcase, which was already here when we purchased the house two years ago.



Such a mess, right?  Look at that clutter.  Ugh.  


Not anymore!  





Of course, it needed just a touch of yellow.  Honestly, I don't know why I'm so obsessed with this color, but there are some quirks that have been with me since childhood.



  • my passion for decorating (yes, I was one of those kids who couldn't stand NOT making my bed or perfectly arranging all those stuffed animals)
  • my love for Rod Stewart, specifically his Night on the Town album—the lyrics to "Tonight's the Night" used to horrify my mother.  Luckily, I was only in sixth grade and had no idea what Rod was singing about
  • my fondness for daffodils—I can't wait to smell that first one this spring
  • and YELLOW

Happy New Year and thanks for stopping by.  As of this post, I have FORTY followers.  Woo-hoo!

vif187


""/>


6 comments:

  1. What a nice pop of color! Makes it feel more sunshiny! I really like your built ins they add a lot of character to the room and are a great storage and display place.

    Hugs,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks better. Sorry the built ins are not done properly. Thanks so much for your very sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever you use colors and things you love, your home will always feel cozier and prettier. I know most people like expansive master bedrooms, but I personally like smaller, cozier bedrooms ... feels like you're cocooning when you fall asleep. :) Your bedroom is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your built-ins and the yellow gives it the added "oomph"! I totally get the little quirks since childhood...I used to do the same with my stuffed animals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love the yellow, it's perfect! Thank you for sharing! I'm your newest fan. Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pop of yellow - it really does make a difference. makes me want to go paint some shelves yellow in my white built in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...