Monday, November 21, 2011

The Master Bedroom

When I saw this closet in the master bedroom, I said to my realtor, "You're kidding, right?" 



She was not kidding, but we bought the house anyway.


Last year we made the decision to splurge on some built-ins.  I even took a design course so we could figure out where the contractor would install them.


When the frame went up, I nearly had a heart attack.  Our room was small to begin with, even smaller with the built-ins.  Honestly, I was ready to cry the first time I saw them.  And that fantasy layout I so painstakingly planned?  Well, it got tossed out of this window.  


I spent an entire weekend rearranging things.  I started with the details, not a designer tactic, I know, but I needed to love something about this space.  We have a number of old etchings and some quirky pieces that I thought might work nicely together.  The Pottery Barn and Anthropologie websites inspired me, as did countless issues of Country Living.  



The comforter at the foot of the bed was supposed to be our main bedspread, but I couldn't resist this Shabby Chic comforter from Target.  It's soft and pretty and it brightens what can be a dreary space.  The colorful quilt is from Country Curtains. 

Speaking of curtains… 

OH, how happy these curtains make me!  Both fabrics are from Calico Curtains.  The rod I ordered through my amazing drapery lady, who also happens to be SHOCKINGLY affordable, as in, a third of the price of other custom drapery folks.  The shade is from Next Day Blinds, and it's room darkening.  The wall color is an old Duron paint called filtered light.  It is a tad too faint, I think, but I do love it.  And we used it in our previous house, so it actually has sentimental value.  Is that normal?  Probably not. 



Isn't it funny how some things in your house make you crazy?  And other things make you crazy happy?  Well, this little table makes me crazy happy.  There's a reason this blog is called Daffodil Hill.  I'm kind of obsessed with yellow.  When I couldn't find any trim I liked for the curtains Awesome Drapery Lady suggested we use this fabric as trim.  Like I said, she is awesome!


This chair was a hand-me-down from my husband's childhood home.  I had a slipcover made, and found this pretty throw at Country Curtains.  The lamp is ancient.  I actually made that pillow you see there, trim and all.  I also covered that little footstool, but I think eventually I'll switch the fabric to something else.


This bureau is one of my favorite pieces in our whole house.  I love the white glass knobs, and the dark wood against the light walls is a nice contrast.

Finally, here's a look at the bookcase that was here when we moved in, yet another reason I chose to put the new built-ins on this wall.  The hope was that it might look more seamless.  Yes, I have lots of mementos up there.  You could also call it clutter.  Maybe someday I'll edit it.  I also need to figure out what to do with that big open space for the TV.  If I had my druthers, there would be no TV in the bedroom, but the hubby gets to have druthers sometimes, too, and he wants a TV.


Here's my current decorating dilemma.  Notice the color on the bedroom wall and the color on the bathroom wall?  There's no contrast, and I think since the bedroom walls are so light the bathroom walls need to be darker.  The paint swatches are still up, and I'm trying to decide whether to go green, like bold green, or maybe try a darker yellow.  Oh but I do so love yellow…




Finally, here are a couple of nice summer views.  Hard to believe it's Thanksgiving already!  Seems like I just took these pictures.






13 comments:

  1. Your rooms are so tidy, sweet, and beautiful! I always dream of a bedroom suite, but we have a small bedroom too. You did a FANTASTIC job with yours. I could see a curtain hiding that TV, maybe on a spring rod so as not to be permanent, and not fussy so as not to drive your husband crazy. One of your devine fabric choices? I would LOVE all that storage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for commenting on my last January post on great room curtains. Your bedroom looks cozy and wonderful! I love all of the fabric choices, because I love yellow too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I just signed up to follow you and if you haven't already, I would love to have your follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bedroom is lovely. I'm so glad that you stopped by my blog so that I could come to yours to meet you.

    I will be back to explore more. I'm following along with you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the nice comments! I like the curtain idea, Jacqueline. It would give it a sort of French look, I think. When we had those put in, I wanted doors to cover up the TV. My husband thought it would be too many doors. The fabric would be a good option.

    Thanks for following, Penny and Paula! So excited to see new faces. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was perusing blogland, in the midst of my cooking, and came across your site. What a cute blog you have! I am now your newest follower, and would love it if you would follow me, too! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there!

    I just love your foyer, that blue and white wallpaper is just gorgeous! Thank you for dropping in today! I am happy to follow you as well. You have a beautiful master!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely room. Thank you for stopping by Reno and Reorganizing and for following me. I am following you right back.

    Have you thought of maybe going to a gray for your bathroom walls. There are some pretty grays out there now and they look wonderful with yellow. I know because that is my colour combo for my walls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bedroom is beautiful and I can fully appreciate your love of yellow. Most of the rooms in my small house are painted a yellow called "Honey Harbour". Love the colour, love the name! The curtains are wonderful! Let's face it, I enjoyed my first visit here!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your master bedroom is so charming! I love yellow and white together so I love your checked tablecloth and the trim on the drapes. Your room has an eclectic cottage feel to it which I really like. I agree that your bureau is the icing on the cake. It's a gorgeous piece in that room! I like how your room doesn't look like it's a matching set of furniture too. I see you're a new blogger. I'll be your newest follower then. Thanks so much for dropping by and visiting me as well. BTW, I love the name of your blog. It sounds so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for stopping by and for following me! I have been hard at work all weekend painting that master bath. Not sure if I like the color or not. I think I'll just have to wait and see. I also got the Christmas decs up, not the tree, though. We'll wait a couple of weeks on that. Thanks so much for all the encouraging comments. Still trying to navigate this whole blogging thing, but it's FUN! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your bedroom. It has a cozy country feel to it...it looks loved and lived in. I love your curtains and the little table next to your bed. I too have one of the white comforters from Target Shabby chic line...and I prefer it to my quilt lol. Thanks for stopping by and leaving nice comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bed is beautiful! Thanks so much for your sweet comment today :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...